Frequently Asked Questions about Browning ProSteel Pistol VaultsBelow are the most common concerns you may have about your Browning ProSteel Pistol Vault. Please read through the list and if you still have concerns, feel free to contact a ProSteel Customer Service team member at 877-501-SAFE ext. 14 or use the Contact Us form.
Q: How often should I change the batteries in my pistol vault?
A: The pistol vault uses eight (8) AA batteries. The batteries should be replaced once a year. We suggest using a Duracell Alkaline AA batteries. Replace the batteries in your safe on a memorable day like the 4th of July and replace fire alarm batteries as well.
Q: How do I install batteries in my pistol vault?
A: The pistol vault uses eight (8) AA batteries. The battery tray is located inside the vault on the right-hand side and is secured in place with two wing nuts.
- Open the pistol vault.
- Locate the two wing nuts. Turn them counter-clockwise and remove them.
- Slide the battery tray off the mounting studs.
- Install eight (8) new AA batteries in the tray. Make sure the batteries are oriented as shown on the tray.
- Replace the battery tray on the studs with the batteries facing the side of the safe.
- Install the wing nuts on the battery tray mounting studs. Do not over tighten the wing nuts.
Q: How do I use the key to unlock my pistol vault?
A: The key to the pistol vault is unique and must be correctly oriented to open the pistol vault.
- To correctly insert the key into the keyhole, locate the round dimple on the key.
- The dimple should oriented so that it is closest to the back or hinge side of the safe.
- Insert the key fully and turn it 1/4 turn counter-clockwise.
Please note: The key will be retained in the lock until the safe is locked.
Q: How do I use the keypad for the first time?
A: Using a battery on the outside contacts or with batteries installed, it is a good idea to practice using the keypad. Prior to entering an access code, the keypad must be activated. Press the IIII (4) button to activate the keypad.
The access code is a series of button entries used to access the pistol vault. The pistol vault is shipped from the factory with access code 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 2. To open the pistol vault using the factory code, perform the following operation:
- Make sure there are batteries installed or that you are holding a 9v battery on the external battery contacts. Removing the battery will deactivate the keypad. Activate the keypad by pressing button 4. A chirp will indicate that the keypad is activated. If the keypad is activated, you do not need to perform this step.
- Enter the factory access code, 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 2. A chirp will sound and the green LED will flash with each entry.
- If the access code is entered correctly you will hear the locking pins retract and the pistol vault lid will open. If the access code is entered incorrectly, a long chirp will sound and the LED will flash red.
If the access code is entered incorrectly three (3) times in succession, the lock will shut down for 15 minutes and then enter sleep mode. THe key can still be used to access the pistol vault.
Q: How do I program a new access code?
A: The access code is made up of 6 individual button entries.
- Activate the keypad by pressing the 4 button. A chirp will indicate the keypad is active
- Press and hold the 1 button for three (3) seconds.
Three chirps will sound.
- Enter the current access code
Three chirps will sound indicating a new access code can be entered.
- Enter a new six button access code/
Three chirps will sound.
- Re-enter the same six-button code to confirm it.
Three chirps will sound if the new access code is accepted.
If a long chirp sounds and the LED light flashes red, the access code does not match. You must start over at Step 2. After three unsuccessful attempts, the pistol vault will go into shut down mode and you must wait 15 minutes.
- The access code is now changed.
Please remember the new access code.
Q: What does 1 long chirp and a flashing red light mean?
A: One long chirp and a flashing red light indicates that the access code has been entered incorrectly. If the access code is entered incorrectly three times in succession, the keypad will shut down for 15 minutes. The key can still be used to access the contents of the pistol vault.
Q: Why does the 4 key beep twice?
A: The 4 key is used to wake up the pistol vault lock. When waking up the pistol vault by pressing the 4 key, make sure you do not hold it down. If the 4 key is held down when waking up the lock, it will beep once to wake up the lock and once to register that the 4 key has been pressed. Then the code will not work because the pistol vault thinks that 4 is the first number in the code.
Q: Why did my keypad stop working?
A: The lock has entered the time out mode. Wait for 15 minutes and enter the code again. If the access code is entered incorrectly three times in succession, the keypad will shut down for 15 minutes. The key can still be used to access the contents of the pistol vault.